Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Safari's are fun!

So, South Africa has been awesome so far. Sunday was a perfect day that I want to tell you about, but it will have to wait.

For now I want to share some pictures from my safari. I took off yesterday from Johannesburg to go to Kruger National Park. We did a late afternoon safari yesterday and spent most of today out on the road. It has beautiful, awe-inspiring, and just plane cool. This is a fantastic national park...I'm emailing now, need I say more? The camp sights are fenced off from the park for our safety (which after all that I've seen, I'm grateful to be caged). The pictures tell most of the story...

Me excited to be on "Buddy" our safari truck

Giraffes - so much cooler when they're not at a zoo


Monkey at the camp sight - I don't know what kind


White Rhinos - one of the "big 5" that you're supposed to see on safaris

Baboons. The little one got up on the mother's back. It was super cute. There is an Impala in the background.


African Elephants - one of the "Big 5"

More African Elephants

It was a really big deal to see this Leopard (another of the "Big 5") and to follow him up the road is exceedingly rare. Our guide has not seen a leopard this close up in this park in 12 years of taking people here. It was the certainly the best part of the day.

The other 2 animals in the big 5 are the buffalo, which we saw, but I don't have a picture of, and lions. I'm hoping that I will see lions in my last couple days here, but if I don't, the trip was still well worth it. You have no idea what it's like to be driving and looking out the window, only to suddenly see a gigantic elephant crossing the road just meters away! Unbelievable.

Okay. Wish you were here to share this with me...especially Fritz and Molly because they would LOVE all the animals :)

1 comment:

  1. Look's fun. For some reason I thought you shoot animals on a safari, but gladly you didn't.

    ReplyDelete