Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Breech Baby Blue

Today I assisted with a breech delivery on labor and delivery that was supposed to go to C-section, but did not make it due to lack of resources. The baby came out slowly with lots of tugging and repositioning. When the baby was completely delivered she was pale and floppy. I went with the nurses to resuscitate the newborn. I did chest compressions while the nurse provided air through the use of a bag valve mask. After a couple minutes of chest compressions, the baby's heart miraculously began to beat fast enough. I then took over for the nurse and breathed for the small seemingly lifeless infant. I continued the resuscitation efforts by myself for the next several minutes while the nurses attended to other women in need. Amazingly, the small girl began breathing on her own. She was still floppy and did not cry, but her heart was beating and she was breathing. I followed her to the neonatal special care and handed her over to the pediatric nurses. It was getting late, so I had to leave at that point in order to get back before the dangerous dark. I don't know what will happen to her, but I know that I did all that I could. It was my first time trying to resuscitate a child, let alone a newborn, and it was intense to say the least. I'll let you know if I find out what happens to her.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thats the APGAR score that we rarely see in the community hospitals here, unless you're at the place like Harper. I hope that baby girl pulls through for sure. Will keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete